The professionals tend to be very approachable. I actively follow the race results and blogs of about five pros: (1) Andy Potts (he's a former swimmer); (2) Jim Lubinski (the only pro who would recognize me); (3) Kathryn Bertine (wrote a series of columns for ESPN entitled "So you want to be an Olympian); (4) Jordan Rapp (Princeton guy and very analytical); and (5) Chris Foster (local pro who races ITU). I am certainly aware of many others, but I don't specifically look up race results and read race reports for anyone else regularly. I have, on occasion, sent e-mails to 3 of them. Each of them responded, and answered themselves, not via an assistant. Before and after races, I have met a few more pros. Every single one of them took the time to chat with me for a few minutes. Even people like Macca.
Contrast that with professional in many other sports. Do you think that Peyton Manning, Michael Phelps or Usain Bolt answers his own e-mails? I doubt it. They usually sign autographs before or after competition/games, but that's really about it. Yes, I understand that the volume of "fan" interest in people like that is substantially greater than even the biggest name triathletes, so I don't blame them for needing buffers. But it's a lot easier to cheer for someone when they answered your question personally.
Moreover, it's not just athletes. I have dealt with a few relatively well known lawyers as well. Some of them answer their own phone and e-mails. Others have assistants who return calls for them -- answering the phone and hearing "Mr. ___? Hold please for ____" is a surreal experience.
Maybe triathlon will grow to the point at which its stars are as well known as tennis or track and field athletes. If you had asked me 10-15 years ago if I thought that the mainstream media would ever notice or report on swimming in the 3 years 50 weeks between Olympic Games, I would have said "probably not." So, it might happen. The increased money that would flow to the pros if the sport got more attention would be a good thing, in my opinion. Having swam "against" (which is to say in the lane next to) Olympic medalist and national champion swimmers, I think that professional triathletes are every bit as impressive as those swimmers. While I think that the top swimmers deserve to be paid more than they are, I suspect that they make a lot more than triathletes. And it would certainly be nice if ESPN occasionally covered triathlon. But for the time being, it's kind of nice participating in a sport where unsolicited e-mails get answered.
Riding Indoors and Pedaling Skills, Part 2
7 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment